A large crowd gathered at St Leo's College in Carlow for the plaque unveiling on Sunday by Bishop Denis Nulty to mark 175 years since seven Sisters of Mercy departed for Pittsburgh, USA, founding many convents, schools, hospitals and Carlow University.
Speakers included Msgr Caoimhín Ó Néill and Sr Sheila Carney (Pittsburgh) who outlined the background to the 1843 journey of seven Carlow nuns and the work of the sisters in the United States including the founding of Mercy Hospitals, schools and Carlow University as well as further convents.
Music at the event was provided by St Leo’s College students and Carlow artist Justin Kelly, who recorded “The Ballad of Mother Agatha” on his recent CD.
Several presentations were made to Sr Sheila Carney of Carlow University, Pittsburgh and Carlow convent accepted seven posthumous honorary degrees for the founding seven from Carlow University.
The event was attended by members of the Mercy order from Ireland and abroad, family members of the seven sisters, past and current staff and students of St Leo’s, public representatives, members of the public, friends and benefactors of the Mercy sisters.