All firearms should be stored in accordance with legislation
Gardaí in the Kilkenny/Carlow Division are currently investigating the theft of firearms in two separate incidents and a third incident where an attempt was made to remove a gun safe.
All three incidents occurred during burglaries of private residences and Gardaí have issued the following advice to people who have licensed firearms:
- All firearms should be stored in accordance with legislation and the FIREARMS (SECURE ACCOMMODATION) REGULATIONS 2009.
- These regulations can be found on line under Statutory Instrument 307/2009.
- Firearms should always be licensed up to date.
- Firearms should never be left unattended for any period of time.
- During transport, firearms must always be stored in a case/sleeve, out of sight in a locked vehicle boot. They should not be immediately accessible to the driver or any passenger.
- No gun should be loaded with ammunition while travelling to or from a shoot.
- Firearms holders should never post photographs depicting their weapons on social media sites. It is bringing unnecessary attention to yourself.
The above advice is not exhaustive. For more, see a security leaflet below: