Storm Emma hit Carlow hard
Storm Emma's damage to Carlow roads is estimated to cost €1.7m but Government have indicated they will not be meeting the claim by Carlow County Council.
Carlow completed an assessment of damage to the public road network throughout the county during the severe weather event earlier this year which was estimated to be in the region of €1,750,000.
In her Chief Executive's report for September, Kathleen Holohan, said: "While the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport had not sought a submission in that regard, a claim was submitted for the above amount.
"An initial, informal response has indicated that the Department will not be meeting this claim."
On April 20, the Council submitted a claim in the amount of €644,178 to the National Directorate for Fire and Emergency Management for costs associated with the response and clean-up operation during Storm Emma.
The weather event hit Ireland at the end of February and start of March 2018 bringing with it severe cold weather and snowfall.
On September 26, correspondence was received by the local authority from the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government awarding Carlow €593,730 for "exceptional costs" associated with the severe cold weather and snow.
The Council have said that a "case is being prepared for seeking the shortfall of €50,447".
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.