Abbey Street in Tullow closed during nighttime works CREDIT: Nolan's Mace in Tullow
"This is Christmas week, it's not fair to be trying to shut down a business," says Tullow businessman Kevin Nolan after Abbey Street was closed for nighttime works several times in the last week.
Traders have been left frustrated by disruption due to works on the construction of a new pedestrian bridge. The footbridge will provide a separate structure but it will be tied into the existing granite bridge.
The closures are part of the project in Tullow and the works are being carried out by SISK under the control of Transport Infrastructure Ireland.
The road closures took place on a few nights late last week and early this week from 8pm until 6am the following morning to facilitate the laying of new ESB cable.
Kevin of Nolan's Mace in Tullow, has strongly criticised Carlow County Council and what he claims is their inaction and unwillingness to accommodate local businesses by arranging for the nighttime works to begin at 10pm instead of 8pm.
His business on Abbey Street is open from 7am to 11pm every day and he said the works on Abbey Street "dramatically" affected footfall and had a huge impact on his trade.
He said: "Carlow County Council should be ashamed, all we asked them to do is close the road at 10pm instead of 8pm."
Kevin was stunned after asking the foreman on site on Tuesday night if he could push the works back to 10pm and the man acceded to his request with no issues and was understanding of the trader's concerns.
Speaking to Carlow Live, Kevin said: "The gentleman that's overseeing the whole thing reopened the road until 10pm no problem at all and the Council wouldn't do that for me. That just shows you.
"He told me they were just told they could do it from 8pm. I explained that if they closed it at 10pm nobody would have any hassle and nobody would be giving out.
"The Council are not listening to me. I can't sustain all these hours of closure. I did business until 10pm on Tuesday night and there was a good few in and out so the story turns out good but no thanks to the Council.
"This is Christmas week, it's not fair to be trying to shut down a business."
It is expected that the road will be closed again on Wednesday night and Thursday for resurfacing but the foreman is expected to accommodate the request from the local trader not to begin works until 10pm both nights.
Carlow Live understands that the contractor will not need to close Abbey Street again until mid-March 2019 once Thursday night's work is completed.
Carlow Live contacted Carlow County Council about the works but no response had been received at the time of publication.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.